Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Let's have a sing-along.............NOT!

Question of the day: Singing on the first date...thumbs up or thumbs down?

I'm going to go with...a thumbs down. The other night I went on a date with a guy about 7 years my senior. He was nice, respectful, and seemed interesting. His stats (employer, location, beliefs, family history, etc) were pretty good too. He took me somewhere I had never been before...it was actually a perfect first date spot. I'll probably suggest it in the future lol. It was trendy, classy, food was tasty and it had TVs everywhere with the game on (I love sports). The conversation flowed well...BUT unfortunately, like most women I know, I knew after about 2 minutes of being around him I wasn't really interested. Still, just because I'm not feeling that romantic pizazz...doesn't mean I can't gain a friend (foolish thought? Maybe). Anyway, I sat there and continued to talk, laugh, and eat....just enjoying being in the moment. Towards the end of the date he said he had this Musiq Soulchild song he wanted to play for me...it apparently reminded him of me. Hmmm, a little hesitant, I said "OK," but in my mind there was a Red Alert light going off. When we got in the car, he was ready to cue up the song. Surprisingly I hadn't heard it before, but it had a nice melody, and smooth beat. Then...he began to sing. Now, he's definitely NOT a singer, but for some reason he decided to go for the gold....using his hands in a Christina Aguilera type way...attempting to hit the high notes...all while glancing over at me every time we stopped at a red light. Perplexed, I was unsure of what to make of the whole thing. My initial reaction was "wow, LAME ALERT"...but then after the song finished, he had another one ready to go that ALSO reminded him of me...and began to sing-along with that one TOO. Needless to say I was a wee bit uncomfortable. I'm like he only had one glass of wine...what's his deal? I began to have flashbacks of times I rode in the car with my dad, and he started singing along to some hip song hoping I would think he was cool. I didn't know whether to laugh, or jump out of the car the next time we stopped. I didn't know him well enough to embrace this kind of humor...mainly because I didn't really know if it was humor in the first place. To me, he looked totally serious...especially when he would finish every verse with, "yeah, I'm talking to you (enter my name)." All in all, the car was still coming to a rolling stop in front of my house when I said thanks for the date and hopped out. The date had started out normal...but ended in some weird alternate universe with Musiq Soulchild playing in the background.

Bottom line: I don't care if you sing like Luther Vandross...unless our first date is at one of your concerts...I think you best leave the singing alone...it's TOO RISKY. Just don't do it to yourself.


Love: building from the bottom up.

2 comments:

  1. I tried that and the girl actually thought it was cute. I can't sing a lick but I guess different stokes for different folks. Oh yeah I definitely didn't tell her the song reminded me of her though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean there's a thin line between cute and creepy. I'm sure your singing was more cute...his, not so much. Especially when he would insert my name randomly between lyrics. Just awkward.

    ReplyDelete