Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The dating style of the future?

Question: Can you really date/find someone to love on facebook?

Call me old fashioned, but I still find it hard to respond to people I don't know on facebook. Whether it's a friend request or a random message saying hello...I have always been uneasy about the whole thing. Most especially, I find it very difficult to respond positively to strange men who send me that general "hey, you're cute, how are you?" message. Maybe it's because ever since I was a youngling I was taught to NEVER EVER talk to strangers...and I suppose the lesson just stuck with me...carrying over into my Internet world. I mean we've all seen "to catch a predator" on Dateline, and heard all the stories of evil men posing on websites...trying to coarse women into meeting their evil asses so they can do dark and despicable things to them (I know i'm being dramatic, but hey, that shiz is real!). And it's hard enough trying to figure someone out in person, let alone across the world wide web! I guess the whole idea of talking to some strange man on a social networking site just doesn't go over very well in my mind...but am I being unrealistic? Is facebook really the ideal dating tool of the NOW and FUTURE? I initially thought the site was just a cool way for me to stay in touch with people I ALREADY knew, but maybe its purposes have evolved...? I have a cousin whom I think is on every Internet dating site out there, and so far she hasn't had much luck with it. I mean she's met a few guys, but it never seems to work out. She's way older than me though, and I still refuse and don't think it's necessary for me to join any kind of Eharmony, Match-dot-com mess. However, I have decided to test the whole facebook dating theory, and I am in the process of seeing how the jig might possibly work (for the main purpose of this blog of course wink wink). I haven't met anyone who has ever turned a facebook meeting into an actual relationship. So, when I say testing, I mean responding, damn near slightly entertaining, the advances of ONE man (because my ass is too scary and not desperate) I don't know who sent me a message on the site. Of course I am being as careful and cautious as I can possibly be...but I feel after having little success meeting men the old fashioned way, this test just couldn't hurt. However, I am suuuuuper beyond skeptical, but only time will tell.

Bottom line: When I told my mom what I was doing, I think she immediately dropped down to her knees and starting praying. I know, I know, the whole thing makes me nervous too, but it's also kind of exciting at the same time cause it's something new and fun! I'll just have to let ya'll know how it goes.

Love: Testing a new theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment