Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I like the movies, but this is reality sir

Question of the day... what is the point of playing make believe? I had planned to be the belle of the ball this weekend when attending my colleges' version of the prom. I was ready to put on my freakum dress, three and a half inch heels, grab my satin clutch bag and go...that is until my date, let's call him "Mr. Africa," decided we weren't going, but forgot to send me the memo. Last night I attempted to confirm this disappointing news, but my message seemed to get lost in the dark abyss of nothingness. However, today, in the middle of my fried chicken and french fries lunch with my good friend, "Mr. Africa" trotted along to say hello. As he commented on my friends hair, I sat there thinking, "hmm, is he going to acknowledge the issue at hand?" I guess that idea would be too much like RIGHT. Instead he took a man approach, and decided to ignore and stay mum. He proceeded to rest his African hand on my shoulder, smile, and ask how I was. I wondered if this was the part where I was supposed to be friendly, and reveal the splendor that is my life. Ha! I was never a fan of playing make believe. I could have given him frost bite with the cold shoulder I graced him with. Up until then he had catapulted himself into the role of a wannabe prince charming, whom I should feel grateful to have the opportunity to date. But he can't even keep a date, and there's nothing charming about that. Here's the thing, "Mr. Africa" took it upon himself to ask me to the grown up prom, knew that it was something I really wanted to attend, and that this year was my last chance. Now, we're obviously not going, and the tickets are sold out. No explanation, no apology, no anything. Rude and inconsiderate don't even begin to describe it all. To top it off, he still expects me to smile and speak to him as if everything is just peaches and cream. I don't think so. Not only did he waste my time, but he got my hopes up for something only to knowingly let me down. Bottom line: This is no Disney movie, and don't pretend to be something you're not. Just be a man, and honor your commitments. 

~I'm not bitter...just a little damaged

No comments:

Post a Comment